Monday, September 19, 2011

Vol. 2: The Weekly Does It

Weekly Wisdom: When the going gets tough, the tough get going ... and not in the opposite direction. Face whatever it is that comes your way head on.

Inspiration: "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever" Psalm 73:26 NIV

From the bookshelf: I am slowly getting through the book pictured. The last week was crazy busy. However, I promise to share one thing that sticks out at me, each week, until I finish the book. This week's advice comes from Part One: The Crazy Cycle: Without Love she reacts Without Respect he reacts.  Chapter one's title is "The Simple Secret To A Better Marriage".

*Personal thought: Umm ... are there really any secrets? Or is it that many choose to ignore what is necessary to keep a marriage going? Sit down and think about days of old. Literally, at least 75-100 years ago. If you were to watch one of "those" old movies you'd see women respecting their husbands and the husband showing love to his wife. Have you females out there ever said "You just don't understand me!" Translate this to "You're just not showing me love!" Have you men out there every said "I pay the bills. I put food on the table. What more do you want?!" Translate this to "I want you to respect the stuff that I do for you and our family."*

From the book: "Dad was left feeling that Mom could get along fine without him, and she would often send him that message. She made financial decisions without consulting him, which made him feel insignificant, as if he didn't matter. Because he was offended, he would react to her in unloving ways. He was sure Mom did not respect him" (Eggerichs, 2004, pg. 8).

**Ask yourself if your actions are causing your significant other to act in a way that you don't like. What can you do to change YOUR actions? We should not be looking at others and wanting to change them. God's word says: "Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when there is the log in your own eye?" Matthew 7:3-4.

I can remember in the first 7 years of our marriage how much I would pick William apart. He wasn't doing this right, or wasn't helping with this, or didn't do this anymore, etc., etc., etc. In reality, if I would have taken time to look at myself, there were many things that I wasn't doing that I use to, or didn't show my appreciation or get excited about the "little" things anymore, etc. I am truly thankful that God held us together, without us evening knowing it. From the time we came to Christ as a couple (I in Sept. 2005 and William in July 2006), things have grown on a grand scale. God is bigger than your situation. Trust Him to change it FOR YOU. Watch what happens.


                            

Soundtrack: We were flipping through the radio stations the other day and Smile by Uncle Kracker came on. I'm always telling William "You make me smile" ... so this is just fitting since I'm talking husbands and wives. Another song that I love is Hold Me by Jamie Grace (feat. TobyMac). I couldn't make it with the LORD. Ever.  

Appointment Book: So, last week was payday and it was the FIRST time that I did not get a headache after paying bills. I did very well ... so thankful for that! :) We did assessment testing in our homeschool last week. This Monday is the "official" start date of our 2011-12 Homeschool Year. Kids are excited and looking forward to learning new things. I'm looking forward to it, too. Can't wait to show dad what the kids have learned. It's exciting!! When time allows these are the things that I am wanting to do: strip more paint off of the railing/banisters; start a cross-stitch stocking project; paint; bring the PowerFlex in from the garage; do some rearranging; umm ... yep, the list is endless. YMCA trips with the kids. Post Office to mail box #5 and at the end of the week a baby shower! :) WOOHOO!! Busy, busy week!! 


Share with me: 

What are you reading? 
Do you have any words of wisdom you'd like to share? 
What's your favorite song(s) at the moment? 
Are you working on any projects? What are they?


Have an amazing week friends!!

No comments: