Sunday, May 13, 2012

My mother. My "other" best friend: Pt. 2.

Since my previous blog post seemed a bit whiney, I thought I would take a moment and give a not so "whiney, I want to be with my mommy" approach.

Growing up, I can recall so many memories of my mom and me together. I remember sitting at the kitchen table with my best friend. We would share our thoughts about life, the happenings of the news, girly-stuff, boys-stuff, church, and family life. She took me to open up my first checking account (YIKES). She would drive me back and forth to school, work, dances, etc. When the time came, my mama also taught me how to drive.

**I can also remember the most yummy, iced Nestea she would make ... and being too lazy to make my own glass, I would either 1. sneak up and take a drink from her glass or 2. be sitting there at the table (in my teen years -- mind you) asking her for a drink from her glass -- something toddlers do. :) I can also remember her saying "I wish you girls would stop drinking from my glass." HAHA. Well, at least this is one daughter that doesn't do it anymore. Hmm ... we are visiting in June, mom ... better have that tea ready ..... ;)

I can remember hours upon hours where she would help me with science projects, book reports, gathering material for said reports, comforting me when I got a B on my report card (I know, I am a *nerd*). Shhh ... don't tell anyone, but I also remember a time when I had to write a report, then type it out, and turn it in the next day. I was so tired from school, work, and coming home to type out my paper. I am not sure how far into typing out my report I got, but my mom did the rest for me so I could get some rest. Oh! And this was during those days when we didn't own a computer -- we owned an electric typewriter.

My mom was (and STILL IS) very dedicated!
She's everything that I hope I am to my own children.

I learned a lot from my mom's spoken words. I also learned a lot from her unspoken words. This woman, whom I call mom, mommy, mama -- my mother -- is THE. MOST. PATIENT. woman I know. She has a heart the size of Texas. Actually, let's just make her heart the size of the U.S.A. She loves without condition. You do not have to do and give her things. She just loves. She loves unconditionally. She has definitely not lived an easy life, yet those who have mistreated her she loves anyway. She loves the way Jesus has called us to love: without condition -- with an agape love.

My mama is also a softy. This may sound mean, but I like getting the sappiest card and saying the sweet things that are on my heart to her ... because she shows her emotion through tears. I am positive I inherited this from her. *as I am writing these words, I have tears in my eyes* HAHA. What a funny thing for her to pass down to your daughter. ;)

And even though I am grown and now have my own children to an amazing husband, my mama still remains my (now) "other" best friend. She is still there for me. Still gives wisdom to whatever situation I may have a question about. She still is that same loving, generous, caring, softy I adore!!

Thank you mama for teaching me so much about life, children, friendship, caring, and most importantly about loving others. I love you more than you will ever know!!

P.S. I am looking forward to the day where I get to take care of you, just as you took care of me. Not that I want you to hurry up and get old, or anything. What I would really prefer is that we get to be stationed at the base right next door. Hugs and kisses to you always!! XOXO.

No comments: