Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day 2012

Memorial Day 2012 reflection: I do not think there was a day that went by over this past weekend where I did not think about today -- about Memorial Day. I know a part of me feels more connected and a whole lot more grateful for those who have served and sacrificed their lives for our freedoms, mostly due to being a military spouse. And in part, I also feel humbled by those families who have been left in the shadows of their loved one that passed on for their sacrifice for our country -- their country.

With each military action movie I watch -- like Battleship, Independence Day, and even War Horse -- comes a more grateful heart to those who love our country, the United States of America, to have sacrificed their lives for what freedoms we hold dear. These movies serve as a reminder about how real war is, and even the possibility of what happens during war stricken times.

Please do not let their sacrifice be in vain, no matter what your beliefs are, no matter if you believe in war or not, they died for you to have that freedom of speech. For that, you should be grateful because in some countries this freedom of speech is not free.

How did you celebrate this weekend? How did you reflect on what today means to you? My husband, kids, and I spent almost all weekend with friends doing one thing or another. It was a fantastic weekend. To be honest, it is because of these particular friends that leaving here (when that day comes) will be so hard (saying we leave here before they do). I also spent time just thinking about the freedoms we enjoy, the widows, children, and family members to these soldiers.

Anyway, my husband and I went and did a little shopping today to get me a dress for a wedding we are invited to while we are visiting family. As we were pulling into a parking stall, I asked him, "Honey, do you know what the real meaning of Memorial Day is?" I continued and said, "To me, it is about those who have served and lost their lives for the freedoms that we have." He replied, "And to me, it is not just about those who have actually died for those freedoms, but those who have served and have been severely wounded for the freedoms that we have because they have to live each day as a reminder of that war." WOW! My husband's personal meaning of what Memorial Day is left me speechless.

Remember this: Memorial Day may be the day that we reflect on those who have served our country and lost their lives defending the freedoms of this great nation, but let it also serve as a reminder, just as my husband said:

"...It is not just about those who have actually died for those freedoms,
but those who have served and have been severely wounded for the freedoms that we have."

Photo from Google Image search.

No comments: