Saturday, March 31, 2012

To Color or Not To Color -- Now that is the question

As I did my hair today, taking it from ultra curly to straight with some soft curls, I noticed something:

MORE silver hairs!!! Not gray. Silver. Here's the difference to me: Silver hair is shiny. Gray hair is dull. At least the GOOD LORD chose to bless me with the shiny silver because my brown hair is more on the dull side (from it being dry).

It seems to me that those silver hairs I was lacking in my 20's are MULTIPLYING in my 30's.

Okay, so here is the part where I will be completely open and honest about how these silver hairs make me feel:

1. They are NOT .... THAAAAT bad. Right? I mean, sooner or later EVERYONE gets them. Correct? Plus, gaining silver hair not ugly. My favorite silver-haired gal is Paula Deen. I LOVE Paula's hair and color. :)
                                 
2. Covering them up requires me to continuously cover them up. Again. and Again. And AGAIN!

3. I call these shiny strands my silver highlights ... makes them seem not so ... old'ish. ;)

4. When I see more silver hightlights, it makes me a LITTLE sad. Guess it is time to face reality: I AM getting older. That equals maturity. Wisdom, even, and beauty (according to the Bible). So why not be satisfied with them, right? Seriously, I love talking with the "older folks" because I know they have lived. They can teach me a lot about life and about living for God.

Proverbs 16:31 (ESV) "Gray hair is a crown of glory; it is gained in a righteous life."
Proverbs 20:29 (NLT) "The glory of the young is their strength; the gray hair of experience is the splendor of the old."

5. Keeping silver hair amongst those peers in their 30-something is not custom. Everyone seems to be wanting to color their hair, and for many reasons, but most (my age) seem NOT to want those shiny or dull shades of gray or silver showing. However, I do not tend to follow the crowd. Never have been that way, so why start now?

6. I like my brown hair. Kind of funny coming from someone who in her teens wanted blonde hair.

To Color?
Or not to color?
 Now that is the question.

There are many factors I MUST consider when it comes to coloring:

1. Coloring DOES dry out your hair. It does not matter what you use, it will eventually dry your hair out, requiring you to use multiple products to get that softer and shinier hair you have been wanting, so says the commercials of these products. I have heard that there are certain brands of coloring products that will not dry out your hair. However, I am not brave enough to try them; nor, to color my hair myself.

2. My hair is naturally curly (VERY curly I might add) and dry'ish. Okay, so here in the desert it is really, REALLY dry. Coloring my hair will add more damage.... as does straightening it with a flat iron (hence why my heat is not that hot). Plus, I already have to fight with the dry desert/low humidity that sucks the life right out of my hair.

With just these two factors in mind, I am thinking NOT to color is what I am going to go with. For now anyway.

No comments: