Friday, January 6, 2012

Plateau


Plateau. I can remember learning how to spell this word in elementary school. I also remember learning what exactly a plateau is during social studies as we were learning about the different surfaces of the land.
According to the good 'ole Merriam Webster, a plateau is:

Photo taken by me. August 2010.
1 a: a usually extensive land area having a relatively level surface raised sharply above adjacent land on at least one side; b: a similar undersea feature.

2 a: a region of little or no change in a graphic representation; b: a relatively stable level, period, or condition.

3: a level of attainment or achievement

We may come across a period or season in our lives where it feels like a plateau. Actually, let me rephrase that: We WILL come across periods or seasons in our lives where it feels like a plateau. Take the 2nd part to definition number two and even definition number three. We'll have times where there will be no challenges or obstacles in our way. Smooth sailing seas with unstirred waters. A "relatively stable level, period, or condition" at some point in our lives.

Plateaus are okay. There is nothing wrong with plateaus happening in life. I personally think that God allows these times to be stable to help us recover, and even build up strength and energy for what is to come. When climbing up to a plateau (the real land surface), the best way to get down off the plateau is to go back the way you came. Or, there's another option: You could scale down the cliff until you reach the lower ground. For me, I'd have to go back the way I came. I'll pass on trusting a rope to get me down safely, even though this could possibly be the quicker option.


What about life? We can't go backwards. Life is a continuous moving forward type of event. We always have Sunday, Monday, Tuesday (and so on), but we never have the same day as the day before. At least I never have. Personally, plateaus are okay. I don't mind the rest and easy sailing. However, I like challenge and adventure in my life and resting can be somewhat boring. I understand I need to be content during this time, and even though, for the most part I am, I also know that something else is coming up -- adventure. journey. challenges. Why? The land surface plateau that we all know includes a sharp drop-off. This means there will always be an obstacle or challenge or an adventure ahead. Make sense, right?

Google Image Search
Anyway, I actually started this blog to write about different kinds of plateaus; to include those associated with a weight-loss plateau -- one that I just got off of. A weight-loss plateau can be a bit discouraging. However, we should never be discouraged in how great of a distance we have covered. Plateaus bring balance in our lives.

Next time you face a plateau, remember, it's a time to recover: Challenge is coming and you'll need all your strength to get through it.


Good Image Search

No comments: