Saturday, December 31, 2011

Happy 2012

HAPPY 2012 TO Y'ALL!

What are your new year's resolutions? Do you even make resolutions each year?

I am one who does not [usually] make resolutions each year. I think this has to do with mainly not wanting to let myself and/or others down when those goals are not achieved.

However, this year I am making a couple goals a.k.a. resolutions:

1. To be quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to become angry. (Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; 20for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God" James 1:19-20).

2. Learn to RESPOND; rather than to REACT. Yes, there is a difference. Here is an article I read about responding and reacting. I love how the gal who wrote the article says: "Now, how can we learn to respond instead of react? Well, you can't learn it on the spur of the moment; it has to be built into your character and into your mind. The more you get into God's Word, the more you spend time with the Lord each day in fellowship and prayer, the more prepared you will be to respond. You have to build in those spiritual muscles, which are there for you when you need them." The basis of this article/website is on Christian Working Women. However, I do believe this article and much that the author speaks about on the posts can pertain to anyone (by simply replacing the words with man, daughter, wife, mother, father, son, friend, cousin, etc).

See how goal number 1 and goal number 2 go hand-in-hand? If I am in God's Word daily, meditating on His scripture, I will learn to respond, being quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry. Will this all happen overnight? No. Because of the characteristic I already have that is in my heart and mind, it will take some time to learn to be this way; on more of a normal, everyday basis. Please be gracious to me if you happen to be on the receiving end. Know that I will feel horrible and will apologize.

With all this being said, I have one more goal:

3. To be the best mama, wife, and homeschool teacher that the LORD will have me to be in 2012. I have approached our kiddos with setting a goal or two for 2012 (afterall, setting goals is a good thing to do). I told them what my goals are and when I came to number 3, all three of them said "But you already are!" Forcing the tears back, but with watery eyes, I looked beside me and behind me and said "Do you see someone else here that is?" and laughed. They laughed and said "You already are a great mom and the best homeschool teacher in the world!" Even with my shortcomings, these kiddos surely know how to make a mama feel ultra blessed!!

Setting realistic goals will keep things in perspective and give you priority to what is most important. For me, this priority leans heavily on making Jesus the center of my life!

Have an amazing 2012 -- no matter the circumstances you are in or what may come!!!

Google Image Search

2 comments:

Lacey said...

I think you have number 3 nailed too :). None of us are perfect, but there is no denying that you are a fabulous wife and mom!

Tina said...

Thank you so much, Lacey! Your comment blessed my heart. And just so you know -- YOU are an amazing wife and mom, no doubt about it!! From everything that I have seen, you are one of the few selfless people that I know.