Monday, October 25, 2010

Mmm Mmm Monday: Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

I made these muffins for Sunday's breakfast. Two thumbs up and some Mmm Mmm's from the family! The muffins turned out so moist! :) **I used the variation to the original Banana Peanut Butter Chip Muffins. Also, this recipe comes from a cookbook I got for my birthday - 3 Books in 1: Church Potlucks, Sunday Suppers, and Bake Sale. You'll also find my notes in italics.** We ate them when they were still somewhat warm from the oven. THE. BEST.

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt (I usually do 4 turns on the salt grinder)
1 cup mashed ripe bananas - about 2 large (The more ripe they are, the sweeter. The best is either when the rind turns brown completely or when the rind is spotted brown.)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup buttermilk (I didn't have any buttermilk, so I used a substitute. Take 1 tablespoon vinegar and put in a cup {I used the 1 cup measure all cup from Pampered Chef} and then pour milk to just below 1 cup. Leave it for 5 minutes and then use whatever your recipe requires.)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla (I used 2 tsp cause I just love the sweetness of vanilla in recipes.)
1 cup peanut butter chips (variation: chocolate chips)
1/2 cup chopped peanuts (variation)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375* (I accidentally turned the oven on 350*. O.k., so it was 6:15 a.m. and I was or {may not} have been fully awake while baking these). Grease 15 standard (2 1/2 inch) muffin cups or line with paper baking cups.
2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Beat bananas, butter, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla in medium bowl until well blended.
3. Add banana mixture to flour mixture; stir just until blended. Gently fold in peanut butter chips. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling three-fourths full. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts.
4. Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean. Cool 2 minutes in pan. Remove from pan; cool completely on wire racks. Serve warm or at room temperature. **Because of my error and setting the oven on 350*, it took the muffins 28 minutes to bake. I'm going to bake them again at the original temp and see if this dries the muffins out. If it does, I'll keep the lower temp and will let you know if it alters the moistness of the muffins.**

No comments: