Sunday, August 26, 2012

Crockpot Lasagna

Oh. My. Yummyness! We had crockpot lasagna tonight for the first time. I cannot even begin to describe the scrumptiousness that came from my crockpot!

I went on a search for a crockpot lasagna and could not really find one that I liked enough to follow the recipe verbatim. Actually, I have a BAD PROBLEM following recipes exactly. Seriously. I should be grounded from cooking. Okay -- so we know that won't happen. HA!

Now, for my own take on crockpot lasagna:

Ingredients: 

*1-2 tbsp EVOO
*1 to 1.5 lbs ground turkey
*14.5 can diced tomatoes
*6 oz. can tomato paste
*15 oz. can tomato sauce
*3 small to medium garlic cloves - minced
*1/2 medium to large onion - chopped
*salt - about 5 full turns on my salt grinder
*pepper - about 8 turns on my pepper grinder
*8 shakes of Italian seasoning (I'm cheating here, instead of using the individual spices)
*1 block of yummy mozzarella - sliced to about an 1/8 inch thickness. Roughly. I'm so bad about measurements. I'm THAT kind of cook. ;)
*15 oz. container Ricotta cheese
*1/2 container of real shredded Romano cheese (the small container I had was a .41 oz size)
*Grated Parmesan & Romano cheese
*Uncooked Lasagna noodles -- enough for two layers; roughly 5-6
*EVOO spray (Pam will work, too)
*1/4 cup water

1. In a large skillet, add the EVOO and ground turkey. Cook on medium until turkey is cooked through. Be sure to ground the turkey while it's cooking to keep the pieces small. 
2. Added the chopped onion and garlic; stir to combine throughout. Cook until onions are translucent in color; about 5-6 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add tomato sauce and tomato paste; stir to combine throughout meat mixture. Add diced tomatoes; stir to combine. 
4. Add salt, pepper, Italian seasoning. Stir. Heat mixture thoroughly.

Crockpot time! 

5. In a large crockpot (mine is a large round one), add enough meat 'n sauce mixture to coat the bottom of the crockpot.
6. Add enough noodles to cover the bottom. You may have to break some to cover the shape of your crockpot. Don't worry about being perfect. 
7. Add more sauce to cover noodles. 
8. Sprinkle enough of the shredded Romano cheese to cover sauce. Add roughly 5-6 dollops of Ricotta cheese. Roughly spread the Ricotta to cover the majority of layer. 
9. Places enough mozzarella slices to cover Ricotta.
10. Repeat steps 5-9 for last layer. Yes, you're only creating 2 big, fat, layers of yummy-goodness!! Save enough of the meat 'n sauce mixture for the top.
11. Add remainder of the meat 'n sauce mixture to the top. It's okay if you don't have A LOT because ... 
12. Pour water on top. Generously sprinkle the grated parm. on top. Add some more Italian seasoning. 
13. Cover with lid. Cook for 3 hours on high. I read you should cook it on low for 4-6 hours. We ate our crockpot lasagna at 3.5-4 hours.

It was perfect and the taste was DELISH! 
The pic may not look THAT great, but the meal was scrumptious!

ENJOY!!!!!

P.S. Leave me a comment and let me know how was it. Happy Cooking ... or waiting! :)

No comments: